Thursday, December 27, 2012

Losing the baby weight

I'm not one of those women who forget all the horrible things that come with pregnancy but I still choose to have kids. Why? Because I'm insane. I remembered the fatigue, the sleepless nights, backaches, and all the after-the-hospital stuff that no one talks about. The one thing I did forget about however, is how disappointing it can be to look at your body after.

I am realistic. I knew that I would still be wearing my maternity jeans for weeks after (still wearing them), and I understand that it takes at least 6 weeks for your uterus to go back down and to get your body ready to work out again, but it still doesn't help your self esteem and I have a wedding in 8 months!!

After watching some REALLY great documentaries on Netflix - my favorite was Fat, sick, and nearly dead - I realized that the way I had been dieting and losing weight in the past was SO wrong. I need to be healthy for my husband and kids and I need to be a good example to them, so I decided to try green smoothies.

One of my biggest issues is that there are very few veggies I like and even then they need to be smothered in butter and salt and even though I like fruit, I can't find the time to eat all the servings I need. Green smoothies are awesome because you get all the servings of fruits and veggies you need  in 2 yummy shakes!! I have never felt so healthy and energetic in my life! I don't get hungry until dinner time and I haven't had to drink coffee since I started.

Here is my favorite smoothie:
1 banana
1/2 C blueberries (sometimes I'll throw in a strawberry and use less blueberries... they can be expensive!)
1 tsp flax seed
1 C unsweetened almond milk
2 cups spinach (It's good to switch out your greens every couple weeks. Too much spinach can be toxic for your body)

I double this in the morning, drink half, and save the other half for lunch. This is GREAT for having a newborn! I have everything pre-bagged in my freezer and fridge so it takes about 5 minutes to make in the morning and then I don't have to worry about cooking again until dinner time. It would be great for those of you who are on the go as well.

Before Christmas came and ruined all sense of self control I have, I had lost 3 pounds my first week! It's great knowing that I didn't skimp on my nutrients or ruin my metabolism to do it either. I would encourage anyone who is looking to lose weight but feels that they don't have the time or don't know where to start to try this method. It's awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment